Do you hate cold calling?
You're not the only one.
Cold calling can suck! For some, it's the most dreaded thing about sales. Cold calling creates stress, frustration and even causes people to quit their jobs.
But it doesn't have to be that way!!!!
In fact, if you do it right, cold calling can be a lot of fun. You need to challenge yourself to do things differently and out of the ordinary. The goal is to generate attention. How can you do that? By being creative and thinking outside the box.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- How many times could you call a prospect in a day? 15? 20? Do that!
- Make "Missing Person" flyers with their picture and your phone number, then put it on the cars in their parking lot.
- Create a rap to "California Love" as a way to give your pitch.
- Make up a funny skit or song about your product or service and how you think you could help them.
- Bring them a birthday cake and pretend to be a singing telegram person.
- Buy a burner phone and mail it to your contact and call then call it.
- Leave them already scratched off lottery tickets that lost, then asking if you can get lucky with a meeting.
I once had a target customer that, no matter what I did, I couldn't seem to get this guy to call me back. I would email, call and leave hand written notes, but nothing seemed to work. So.... I decided to shift my efforts and get a little more creative.
I created "Missing Person" flyers with my contacts picture and my phone number. I bought donuts and coffee, and then arrived at the facility before they opened the next morning. As workers arrived, I would hand them a donut and a cup of coffee, but there was a catch. They had to take a flyer.
I handed out about 50 flyers before, can you imagine, handing a flyer to the same guy who's picture was on the flyer. He looked so confused, not sure why I had handed him a "Missing Person" flyer with his picture on it.
"Who the heck are you and why are you handing these out," he asked?
"Well, Mike (that was his name) I've been trying to contact you for about 3 weeks now and hadn't heard from you," I said. I got concerned and thought you might be missing, so I decided to take action and come looking for you!"
He looked at me like I was crazy and then..... he laughed.
"What do you want?"
Mission accomplished! After a brief conversation, we agreed that it would be beneficial to have a deeper discussion. We set up a meeting for the following week.
Will it always work like this?
Maybe. Maybe not.
Does this make cold calling more fun?
You better believe it does!
The key is to be creative and have fun. If you can make people laugh or entertain them, they'll be more likely to remember you. That's what it's all about – getting attention and standing out from the competition.
So go ahead and get creative. It might be the thing that helps you close more sales.
-Enjoying this newsletter? Share it with a friend!